Length of Course: 8 hours
Course Level: Novice
Who teaches this course? This course is taught by an NRA-certified instructor and a law enforcement professional.
Teaching locations: Brookhaven, Brooklyn, Calverton, Manhattan, Medford, Uniondale, The Compound, and Travel Training Team also available
This course teaches the basic knowledge, skills, and attitude essential to the safe and efficient use of a handgun for protection of self and family, and to provide information on the law-abiding individual’s right to self-defense.
Once you have read the additional information below, if you still have any questions, please check out our FAQ Page If you do not see the answers you are seeking, feel free to email us or call
Topics covered to include:
- Students will learn basic defensive shooting skills
- Strategies for home safety
- Responding to a violent confrontation, firearms and the law
- How to choose a handgun for self-defense
- Continued opportunities for skill development
- Students will receive the NRA Guide to the Basics of Personal Protection In The Home Handbook
- NRA Gun Safety Rules brochure
- The Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification booklet
- Course completion certificate
- NRA Basic Personal Protection In The Home course is for law-abiding adult citizens, as defined by applicable federal, state, or local law, and experienced shooters (shooters able to show mastery of the basic skills of safe gun handling, shooting a group, zeroing the firearm, and cleaning the firearm) to maximize what can be learned from this course.
- Proof of shooting experience can be one of the following: NRA Basic Pistol Course Certificate; NRA FIRST Steps Course Certificate; NRA pistol competitive shooting qualification card; military DD 214 with pistol qualification, or passing the Pre-Course Assessment.
- In NY you must have a NY pistol permit
- Pistol (You must bring a pistol registered to you to take the class in NY!)
- Three magazines
- 100 rounds of ammunition minimum
- Eye and ear protection